Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Back to Reality

So summer has almost ended according to the calender, but has ended for those of us who teach as a career. It's funny when summer comes to an end I always feel a little melancholy and also a little excited wondering what my academic year will be like.

On one hand I start to realize that it may a long time before I can feel the warmth (the real warmth) of the sun on my face. I enjoy autumn, but I know after that comes the dreaded winter and the messy spring before that lazy, hazy feeling can return. It is probably a good thing for me, as I seem to get bored easily and I think the seasonal changes help me to be more appreciative of that wonderful season we call summer.

On the other hand I look forward to getting a whole new crop of students. It's always kind of exciting to start fresh each year and see where it takes you. Don't get me wrong, by the end of the school year I may be just as happy to bid them farewell, but for now it's a new group and a new beginning.

I'm hoping for great things this year (as I always do) and I know that on some levels I will be disappointed and on others I will be amazed. That's one of the joys of teaching, each day is different from the one before and the one after.

Anyway, I bid farewell to summer and welcome to a new school year. We shall travel through the seasons together both teaching and learning and in ten short months we will welcome another summer into our midst.

It's Crazy Isn't It?

Jayjay

2 comments:

Pseudo said...

Greetings fellow teacher. Over here in Hawaii we have "year round school," meaning I've been back to work since mid-July. But I know what you mean. About the transitory period and the anticipation of the new school year. Not so much the weather part of the seasons.

Jay Jay said...

Thanks pseudonymous. Hopefully it will be a good one.

The Ocean Speaks

The Ocean Speaks

About Me

I'm a 40 something year old mother, married with two almost adult children. Life is good.