Friday, July 4, 2008

The 4th of July

So today is a big day in the States, July 4th. There'll be flag flying, congested freeways with travelers trying to reach destinations other than home, picnics, parades, fireworks, fairs and lots of singing of America the Beautiful, God Bless America and of course the Star Spangled Banner. The whole country will shut down and spend millions of dollars celebrating "Independence Day". Our neighbors to the south sure know how to do it up, which is great, I'm happy for them and I hope they all have a great day.

The thing that irritates me about July 4th is not the Americans, but some of our fellow Canadians. In the last few days, I've heard people lament that Canada Day is not nearly as showy or brilliant as July 4th. Well, I don't think it needs to be as grand as all that. Canadians are known worldwide for being the gentler nation, more conservative and subdued and I think we should take great pride in that fact. So we don't have as many parades or fireworks and our highways are not as congested with travelers thinking they need to go somewhere for this holiday. We have a wonderful celebration on Parliament Hill, communities small and large orchestrate their own parties and many families use the day to get together and celebrate and it seems most people really enjoy the day.

I'm proud of my nation and the way it celebrates and I think we should all feel the same. Don't get me wrong, I think what the Americans do is right for America, but we are not America. Remember the old saying sometimes less is more.

Crazy Isn't It? Jay Jay

No comments:

The Ocean Speaks

The Ocean Speaks

About Me

I'm a 40 something year old mother, married with two almost adult children. Life is good.