Thursday, October 2, 2008

Now That Made My Day

You sometimes wonder, when you're in the teaching profession, if you ever really touch anyone or make a change, or even teach them something. It can at times be a lonely and thankless job, but then there are the bright spots.

I received an email today from a former student who is now in high school. I taught him math in both grades 8 and 9. The email was a thank you letter for being a great teacher and giving him the tools he needed to be successful in high school. Now, this student whom we will call Mr. Lazypants, is a very intelligent young man, but he wasn't the best at applying himself. He cruised through most of his early years in school just doing enough to get by. For some reason I saw the potential in this kid and really pushed him to challenge himself. No doubt, he resented the pushing at times, especially the after school detentions for not doing his work and the extra help sessions at lunch time or after school, but with maturity he has come to understand why I pushed so hard. This year he is taking advanced grade 10 math and told me in his email that he felt he was having success because I pushed him and made sure he knew his stuff. He has aspirations of becoming an engineer and I know he is capable.

It seems like a little thing to some, just one email, but to me it was reassurance that we do get through sometimes and it is worth the effort. We can't get them all, but we can get to some of them and when you hear from even one, it really makes your day. So go ahead write a letter to a former teacher whom you felt touched your life, it'll make their day too, I guarantee it.

It's Crazy Isn't It?

JayJay

3 comments:

cheatymoon said...

Yep. Those emails can make all the difference. Nice story!

Jay Jay said...

Thanks Movie. I'm sure you know how it feels.

Pseudo said...

You are so right. One kid coming back and saying something can turn the tables for weeks afterwards. Last May when I was helping at graduation I was assigned to the gym to help pin the caps on the girls. I received hugs and thank-yous from students who I thought had been only irritated at my pushing.

Great post.

The Ocean Speaks

The Ocean Speaks

About Me

I'm a 40 something year old mother, married with two almost adult children. Life is good.